Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 07:11:13 -0500
From:      "Doug Poland" <dpoland@execpc.com>
To:        "ListServer FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Old BIOS, large HD, and FreeBSD 4.0R

Hello,

I've got an old 486 with phoenix BIOS dated 1992.  I
tried to install an new WD 17.4GB hard drive and set
the Master drive to auto-detect.  Upon boot the
BIOS tells me there's an error auto-detecting the
drive.

If I set drive0 to not installed and continue
with 4.0R installation, the probe finds the drive
on ad0, and can read/write during an install.

It looks like my BIOS simply will not recognize
this HD.  Is there anyway around it?  Can I boot
off a "FreeBSD boot floppy" and then load the
kernel from the hard drive.

I know the obvious question is why am I wasting
my time with this old box?  Well, it was free,
I got a great deal on two Western Digital HDs,
and this machine's only purpose in life is to
run FreeBSD and act as a hard-drive back-up
device.

Thanks for all the help.

--
Doug Poland