Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:13:38 -0800
From:      "Jeff D. Hamann" <jeff_hamann@hamanndonald.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   cygwin tar <-> FreeBSD tar?

I've got a FreeBSD machine at home with a 4mm tape drive that I have tar'd
files as follows:

tar cvf /dev/sa0 /usr/home/me/project

and it works just fine as you might expect. I also have an Win2k machine at
work that I perform the same operation on,

tar cvf /dev/st0 /usr/home/me/project

and it works just fine. The problem occurs when I try to use a tape tht was
tar'd on one machine the other. I get the following messages on both
machines when trying to read a tape produced in the other machine.

C:\>tar tvf /dev/st0
tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: Bad file descriptor
tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now

The NT tar is the cygwin tar and the FreeBSD tar is the standard one that
come with FreeBSD 4.4

What settings do I need to provide to make the tapes readable on the other
system?

Jeff.