Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 19:59:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        death@southcom.com.au
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 slower than 3.4?

In article <4.2.2.20000109021927.00dba250@mail.southcom.com.au>,
james  <death@southcom.com.au> wrote:

> It's interesting though how i had no ipf rules whatsoever, yet it
> introduced so much latency, as Alexander has pointed out in another email.
> Why is ipf so slow? I was planning on switching from ipfw/natd to
> ipf/ipnat, but i don't think i want to now - considering it's so darn slow.

If you want to do NAT, I can tell you without even trying it that
ipfilter's NAT will be much faster than natd's.  With natd, every
packet has to go out from the kernel to userland and back to have its
headers rewritten.  That's a lot of overhead.  Not so with ipfilter --
it's all done inside the kernel.

John