Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 23:04:31 -0400
From:      "Matthew Englehart" <englehar@apk.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   problems mounting msdos partition

With 2.2.8:

Here is the relevant line from /etc/fstab:

   /dev/wd0s1      /dos     msdos   r      2  2

When I type "mount /dos" I get the error message:

   fstab: /etc/fstab:6: Inappropriate file type or format
   fstab: /etc/fstab:6: Inappropriate file type or format
   mount: /dos: unknown special file or file system

However, when I type

   mount_msdos /dev/wd0s1 /dos

everything is fine; e.g. I can ls /dos

Any idea why the first way doesn't work?  Mounting of
/dos also fails during the OS boot.

Thanks,
Matt Englehart