Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 04:28:17 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        MAX@one.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unaligned access: va=0x10138b4 pc=0x12002cb78 ra=0x12002cacc op=stq

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 11:58:16AM +1000, MAX@one.com.au wrote:

> I am trying to port this MUMPS database on Alpha. I am having this
> error which I dont know what it meant. It seems to fine when i debug
> it.
>
> here's the error.
>
> % ./mumps -vTESTVOL -b8 -s100 volnewfile
> Creating volumeset TESTVOL in file volnewfile
> with 100 x 8kb blocks and a 8kb map/label block.
> Database file created.
> % ./mumps -j4 volnewfile
> Creating share for 4 jobs with 1mb routine space,
> 2mb (256) global buffers, 8kb label/map space
> and 8kb for locktab.
> pid 9002 (mumps): unaligned access: va=0x10138b4 pc=0x12002cb78 ra=0x12002cacc
> op=stq
> Bus error (core dumped)

I'm assuming that you're using GCC, so ignore my silly guessing below
if that is not true.

Try using -mstrict-align as an option to your compilation commands.
Other flags you might find useful are the ones below.  The bytes of
alignment are 2 raised to NUM, i.e. for NUM=3 the bytes are 8, etc.

	-malign-jumps=NUM
	-malign-loops=NUM
	-malign-functions=NUM

and all the optimization flags (which turn on the above alignment
options).

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]