Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 21:42:09 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        Mathew Kanner <mat@cnd.mcgill.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: playing DVD works

Mathew Kanner wrote:
> 	Just a note to the list to say that playing DVDs does indeed
> work.  I borrowed my friends Austin Powers DVD and tried to play it.
> I installed the CVS version of mplayer (from last night)
>
> mplayer -dvd 1 -dvd-device /dev/acd1c  -cache 20960

I never knew that the "cache" parameter existed. :) I already get smooth
playback with -cache 512, but I really wonder why the software needs to
precache in order to achieve full framerate. The dvd-drive is an atapi
triple-speed and I never had problems getting full framerate on the same
machine with the same drive in Linux or Windows (and yes, UDMA is on),
so maybe there is some kind of inefficiency/weirdness in ata causing all
the trouble? Are there any means to influence read-ahead-caching and the
like via sysctl?

--
Michael Nottebrock