Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:42:11 -0600
From:      eric@cirr.com (Eric Schnoebelen)
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        shsrms@bellatlantic.net, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Potential Newbie Question

Mike Smith writes:
- > Looking in the various FreeBSD resources on the net, I do find
- > refs to jkh running SCSI drives on a PC164, so, does FreeBSD support
- > IDE drives on this beast?
-
- They should work, but you can't boot from them (only the PC164SX supports
- that AFAIK).

	Please don't tell my PC164 that it can't boot from an IDE
drive! :-)

	Seriously, with a late model SRM, the PC164 MB can boot
from an IDE drive without any problems.

	Note: I'm currently running NetBSD on that system, and
haven't tried to boot FreeBSD off of the IDE drive, so there may
be issues in FreeBSD with it.  However, SRM understands and can
boot from the IDE drive.

--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric@cirr.com		http://www.cirr.com
    The law of gravity says no fair jumping up without coming back down.