Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 02:08:31 +1000
From:      James Buchanan <gnudev@ozemail.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Software on FreeBSD

Hi

For a little while I've been using Linux only, instead of Windows. I've been
doing my Bach in computer science degree working on Windows, so unfortunately my
skills in UNIX are a little rusty.

I was wondering if FreeBSD has an installer program that can detect hardware.
Also, does FreeBSD come with the tools that Linux distributions do, for example:
GCC (C, C++, Java, Fortran), glibc, libstdc++, libpthreads, autoconf, automake,
make, sed, awk, perl, bash, texinfo, lout, latex, ghostscript, ghostview, flex,
bison, and other GNU tools? Is there an easy to use setup program for X? What
desktops come with FreeBSD, like Gnome or KDE?

I'm a little worried about changing OSes since UNIX especially seems to be
pretty hard to use (I mean, for me non-logical names for things, like TTYs. An
ancient UNIX hang over).

Is FreeBSD at least as user-friendly as a good Linux distribution like RedHat?
Does the manual in the boxed sets tell how to setup a modem and make a dialup
connection to an ISP, and how to connect and disconnect?

Lastly, since FreeBSD seems to be internet oriented, it has mail programs and a
browser right? Oh, and emacs?

Sorry for the very low level questions. But I really can't afford to spend the
money until I know what I'm doing and I can work on FreeBSD.

Thanks guys. :)

James