Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 22:42:49 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: howto mount a dos cdrom?

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 12:30:34AM -0600, Christopher Farley wrote:
> Gary Kline (kline@tao.thought.org) wrote:
>

> >    Is there some magic to reading a DOS/W95 CD (of fonts) from
> >    either my CDROM (4.3) or DVD (4.4)?  Several years ago I bought
> >    a CDROM full of cheap fonts and somehow got the entire disk
> >    into my FreeBSD 2.2.6.   I may have use dd to get the data off
> >    /dev/cd0c.   Last night I tried using dd with the same fonts CD
> >    and /dev/acd0c.  No joy.
>
> If the CD is a standard computer CD (with an iso-9660 filesystem), you
> should be able to just do this:
>
> mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom
>
> You seem to be not sure as to whether your CD-ROM is /dev/cd0c or
> /dev/acd0c. I believe SCSI CD-ROMs are /dev/cd0c, while ATAPI
> CD-ROMs are /dev/acd0c. You can `cat /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep
> cd` to confirm what device to use for CD.

	A gentleman from the Czeck Republic (I believe) cleared up
	my confusion.    `mount /cdrom' did the trick.  Any easier
	and it would've bit me on the nose.

	--SCSI on _this_ platform; ATAPI CD on my DNS server; and
	ATAPI DVD drive on my new box.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix