Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2018 11:15:16 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
To:        Craig Leres <leres@freebsd.org>, Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 11.1-RELEASE virtualbox-ose panic: ncpus is 0 with non-zero map

05.04.2018 5:42, Craig Leres wrote:

> I just verified that /boot/modules/vbox*.ko match the ones in the package
> in /public/FreeBSD:11:amd64/latest/All/virtualbox-ose-kmod-5.2.8_1.txz on my server.

This is known problem that was raised multiple times in several mailing lists.

In short: you cannot use kernel modules from packages reliably, period.
You *must* use all kernel modules compiled using corresponding /usr/src tree,
this includes kernel modules from ports too.

Sometimes packaged modules may work, but there is no guarantee,
because packages are built using previous supported release from same branch
but kernel modules have to be built with exactly same release sources to match the kernel.