Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2006 21:42:20 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: 3 years and going strong!

> On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 05:48:38PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 09:35:22AM +1000, Peter Sandilands wrote:
> > >
> > > 	Thanks, you guys.  I don't have anything against > 866, etc.
> > > 	I just figured that anything over a GHz *had* to have been
> > > 	"upgraded" to the std scratch-pad.  If not, then wow!
> >
> > Gary,
> >
> > As far as i know, all ThinkPads still use the TrackPoint(tm). IBM invented it
> > and it is quite popular. Seems to be a binary function. You love it or you
> > hate it. I have not met anyone who was in the "don't care" category.
>

> 	:-)
>
> 	I've only talked to one other person, and she said she hates it!
> 	As well as vi and my Unix in general.   For me, altho the
> 	TrackPoint is harder to use than a mouse, on a laptop it's great
> 	to have a pointer to actually direct the cursor in a steady
> 	stroke.
>

> > My fairly shiny new T43 has one as does a co-worker's new T60. I don't know
> > about the new, low-cost 3000 series, but I believe that all other ThinkPads
> > have a track point as do many Dell and HP systems. Probably other brands, too.
>

> > Oddly, the scratch-pad must be disabled to enable the middle button. This has
> > never made sense to me, but it seems that is the way it is.
>

> 	So how to you emulate the mid-button: press 1 + 2 simultaneously?
> 	...It's going to be interesting;  at least I'm not looking for
> 	awhile.

If you don't disable the scragtch-pad, pressing 1 and 2 is the only option. It's easier to do that with the two buttons below the scratch-pad than the three above it. But you can disable and re-enable at will. The newer systems let yo udo it at boot time or with the ps2 utility in Windows or DOS. Don't know what all systems have a real boot-time BIOS setting capability, but the T43 does.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)