Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:40:40 -0500
From:      Andrew Y Ng <ayn@AndrewNg.com>
To:        Jan Voelker <jan@janschatter.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: spam relay

--gatW/ieO32f1wygP

i had a similar problem with my open relay (setup for the convenience of my
own users) back in college. here was what i did:

    * FEATURE(access_db, hash -o /etc/mail/access)
    * FEATURE(rbl)

I'm sure it's pretty outdated, so I went to sendmail.org and found:

anti-relaying page:
http://www.sendmail.org/tips/relaying.html

anti-spam cfg control:
http://www.sendmail.org/m4/anti_spam.html

hope this helps!

/ayn

On  0, Jan Voelker <jan@janschatter.com> wrote:
> All,
>=20
> I think this is more freebsd related than just sendmail, but please forgi=
ve
> if I'm wrong,
>=20
> I have a server with virtual hosts  using freebsd 4.0 and sendmail 8.9.3
>=20
> and find the server domain user mail flooded with messages , definitely
> spam messages,
>=20
> that appear to be relayed by "nobody@home.mydomain.com"
>=20
> I put "nobody@home.mydomain.com 550" in /etc/mail/access and did makemap,
>=20
> and this stops the emails. I'm not comfortable doing this even though it
> works because as you can see,
>=20
> I have a general idea what I want to do but, really dont know proper way =
> handle this.
>=20
> any advise would be great!
>=20