Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:09:55 +0100
From:      Volker Kindermann <ml@ps102.de>
To:        RL <rlurman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up own domain and mailserver

> This has to be the most compilcated subject to me.  I just purchased a
> new domain from godaddy.  I have a few questions I am not totally
> clear about yet.
>
> 1. I have adelphia cable internet.  I would like to get a dyndns or
> no-ip.com account to have a static IP for my new godaddy domain.
> Simple enough.  However, I would like to also do my own DNS to learn
> more about it.   Will I be able to do this if I set my nameserver on
> godaddy to my box's dyndns address?  And from there can I set up A
> records, MX Records, etc and all that good stuff?
>
> 2.  What about reverse DNS?  Could I possibly do that on my box?
>
> 3. I would also like to run my own mailserver for that domain (again
> to learn).  Would I be able to do this and send receive email from/to
> name@mynewdomain.com?  I know most ISPs block port 25 and no-ip.com
> has a pay service called mail reflector that can get around this.  Is
> this necessary?  Why couldn't I just set up sendmail to use a port
> other than 25 like 8080?

I don't know the situation in your country. But here in germany you can
rent a lowend dedicated server for about 40 $/month. With static IP and
mostly with one or more domain-names.

With such a server you can do all what you want without the problems
coming from the dynamic IP.

Perhaps that'll be an alternative for you.

  -volker