Date:      03 Apr 2003 11:11:21 -0500
From:      Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Loopback filesystem support?

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 00:52, Rus Foster wrote:
> Hi All,
>  Does FreeBSD have any support for loopback filesystems. i.e. I mean being
> able to mount a file as a filesystem ala Linux. Googling didn't chuck back
> much and the nearest I found was mount_null. Is it possible?

***
-$ man mount_null

MOUNT_NULL(8)           FreeBSD System Manager's Manual
MOUNT_NULL(8)

NAME
     mount_null - mount a loopback filesystem sub-tree; demonstrate the
use of a null file system layer

BUGS
     THIS FILESYSTEM TYPE IS NOT YET FULLY SUPPORTED (READ: IT DOESN'T
WORK) AND USING IT MAY, IN FACT, DESTROY DATA ON YOUR SYSTEM.  USE AT
YOUR OWN RISK.  BEWARE OF DOG.  SLIPPERY WHEN WET.

     This code also needs an owner in order to be less dangerous -
serious hackers can apply by sending mail to <hackers@FreeBSD.org> and
announcing their intent to take it over.

***

mount_null is all that exists for a loopback filesystem in FreeBSD
(afaik), and it does have many sharp edges (I actually once lost ~30gb
b/c of it). I'd avoid it at all costs. Try using symlinks instead, if
possible.

--
Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>