Date:      Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:00:36 GMT
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6vesd=E1n_G=E1bor?= <gabor.kovesdan@t-hosting.hu>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/87846: 5.4 will NOT work with any other os on disk

The following reply was made to PR i386/87846; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6vesd=E1n_G=E1bor?= <gabor.kovesdan@t-hosting.hu>
To: Lloyd M Caldwell <lmc@xmission.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 18:55:44 +0200

 Lloyd M Caldwell wrote:

 >>Number:         87846
 >>Category:       i386
 >>Synopsis:       5.4 will NOT work with any other os on disk
 >>Confidential:   no
 >>Severity:       critical
 >>
 >myself
 >

 >>Environment:
 >>

 >CAN'T it won't install!

 >1) system has ntfs partition (xp, sp2) install 5.4, reboot no 5.4os.  let 5.4 "overwrite" MBR destroyed ntfs partition (years of xp stuff gone!)
 >2) install 5.4 on empty disk, reboot runs ok, install ntfs (xp-sp2) and 5.4 is no longer found, no operating system, bios message.
 >

 >>How-To-Repeat:
 >>

 >performed the install combinations on 3 different motherboard harddisk combinations, there is NO WAY to install 5.4 on a system with other partitions present.  i.e. 5.4 is WRONG in how it determines and uses disk partition geometry, HOW CAN SOMETHING SO OLD AND BASIC GET SO SCREWED UP!!!!!
 >

 >>Fix:
 >>

 >>Release-Note:
 >>Audit-Trail:
 >>Unformatted:

 I had even older FreeBSD releases with Windows XP on the same disk. You
 must have done something wrong. Read the Handbook once more (You have
 already read it at least once, right?), and follow the instructions. And
 please read the FAQ and the documentation first, then ask, and only send
 a PR if You don't get any solution for your problem. Anyway, FreeBSD 5.4
 has been released almost half a year ago. If it had such a trivial bug
 somebody would have already found it.

 Gabor Kovesdan