Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 1995 13:25:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      william pechter ILEX <pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil>
To:        ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@wcarchive.cdrom.com (FreeBSD-hackers)
Subject:   Re: Patch for gnu/libexec/uucp

> > >  There was a heavy discussion where we decided (for several reasons,
> > >  some as Frank has written) that it's best to configure things
> > >  in using the Taylor ways.
> > >
> > >  I reluctantly agreed, and that's how it's been since then.
> > >
> > >  I therefor suggest that this has already been discussed and decided,
> > >  and I (as yet) don't see anything different now vs. then, and thus,
> > >  we can stick with our previous decision.
> > >
> > > 	- Dave Rivers -
> > >

> > Dave -- I argued against this in 1.1 for the simple reason that most
> > commercial admin manuals cover HDB or V2 uucp and no one does Taylor.
> > (Has O'Reilly updated the UUCP book to cover Taylor ? )
> >
> > Bill
>
>  Sorry to bring this up again (I've been away from the list for about
> 3 weeks - I'm currently 1700 message behind (again :-( ) ).
>
>  Anyway, I held the same opinion - that the commercial texts documented
> HDB really well, so why not go with that.
>
>  I _believe_ the counter argument was that Taylor config files allow
> for a finer granularity on some settings, and thus; better control.  Also,
> people pointed out that the taylor config was quite well documented in
> the texinfo files that come with Taylor uucp (if I'm recalling all of this
> correctly.)
>
>  If anyone cares to re-examine this, I'd be in favor of an HDB approach.
>
>  If a BSD-bigot from way back wants to consider it, we could probably
> adopt the L.sys files as well. :-)

The way my config goes is:

Taylor is supported
HDB is supported -- Systems file
V2 UUCP - L.sys is supported

The code (which I can't find here) seems to look for Taylor first, than HDB
and then V2.  (Which means -- after I make world -- all I have to do to
restore my normal BNU-HDB configs is to remove the sample files that make
puts in.

Bill

 Bill Pechter |Systems Administrator  |
 Ilex Systems |170 Patterson Ave      | Shrewsbury, New Jersey 07702
 908-532-2943 |pechter@sesd.ilex.com  | pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil