Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:45:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marc W <mwlist@lanfear.com>
To:        <owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, ""

Alan Tsang" <atsang@hk.linkage.net>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject: Re: Unable to startx

    Does it work if you're root and not just a regular user?  I once had problems along this line, and it was permissions (I can't remember exactly WHAT permissions, but it wasn't too-too hard to track down and fix the offending file).

    An "operation not permitted" would almost certainly suggest file permissions to me (maybe in /dev ??)

    marc.