Date:      Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:53:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein-freebsd-questions@theloosingend.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   backup w/ snapshots

I'm thinking about using snapshots as a kind of backup-mechanism, in order
to restore accidentally deleted files. Also, in order to avoid losing data
in case of a fire, etc., I'd like to store the backup off-site. I'm
thinking about using rsync to syncronize the relevant filesystems to the
off-site backup-server eg. every day, then taking a snapshot of the remote
filesystem, mount it as /export/backup/{date} and then nfs-exporting that
filesystem to the first computer again.

This way I'd have eg. the /home filsystem mirrored in /backup/{date}/home,
and my /etc in /backup/{date}/etc. I could symlink /backup/yesterday or
/backup/latest to the correct date.

The network link between the two computers are about 4 Mbps downstream,
and 640 Kbps upstream. That is; to take a backup is considerable faster
than to restore a file.

Does this sound reasonable? Is there any precautions I should take? Are
there any other tools better suited for the task at hand?

SVein Halvor