Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 10:29:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DoS from local users (fwd)

Dmitry Valdov once stated:

=Once again - HOW I can limit CPU usage by *kernel* ? Also, I've just
=tried set maxprocesses 5. And it helpless. With 5 processes limit user
=was able to slow down P2-450 computer. Switching between windows in X
=was VERY slow. Mouse movements was slow down too.

=CPU states: 32.3% user,  0.0% nice, 67.2% system,  0.0% interrupt,  0.5% idle

Obviously, it is not the CPU consumed by the user processes, but
mostly by the system, which spends time spawning them, counting
them, and refusing to spawn any more.

And a normal user can ligitimately need more then 32 processes,
say for your average X-session -- with all the terms, biffs, clocks,
screensaver, etc.

Would be nice to see some sort of per-user kernel CPU-time limit...

	-mi