Date:      Wed, 15 May 1996 13:15:04 +1000
From:      Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@melb.werple.net.au>
Cc:        beta@xfree86.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libc_r threads doco?

> We looked at the threaded X11R6 code and decided that it really wasn't
> much use because all that it does for you is lock the one connection
> to the server (from XOpenDisplay) and then the thread that has the lock
> has to consume all events. This doesn't allow a programmer to create
> a thread to drive each dialog (which is what we wanted to do).
>
> To use the libc_r stuff with X11R6 shouldn't be a big deal. I haven't
> actually done it (we just use the FreeBSD libs off the WC CDs and ensure
> that only the initial thread accesses X), but there is a POSIX thread
> option somewhere in X's config files. Set that and make sure you
> compile X with -D_THREAD_SAFE.

Aaah. OK then, pity about that. At one stage they had a threaded X server in
the workInProgress directory, but there's been no work on that for some time
as far as I know. It would've been good, as one could run say the font
renderer as a separate thread (or group of threads) and still be able to get
some parallelism. You can sort-of get that by using a font server but it's not
the same.

--
The views expressed above are not those of the Worker's Compensation Board of
Queensland, Australia.