Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 16:05:30 +1300
From:      "Juha Saarinen" <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        "David Simon" <d.simon@prodsoft.co.nz>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Obtaining CD Installation over the Internet

David,

ftp.clear.net.nz has a fast mirror of FreeBSD.

You don't need to download the ISO images, however. The menu-driven
installation program lets you pick'n'choose between some ready-made
installation alternatives which should get you going. If you need more stuff
after that, you can always install it later (from the ports collection,
e.g.).

-- Juha

:-Þ -----Original Message-----
:-Þ From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
:-Þ [mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of David Simon
:-Þ Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 1:14 PM
:-Þ To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
:-Þ Subject: Obtaining CD Installation over the Internet
:-Þ
:-Þ
:-Þ Hi,
:-Þ
:-Þ I am a long-time Windows user who is interested in
:-Þ learning/using FreeBSD.
:-Þ I live in New Zealand, and found the local mirror site for the
:-Þ downloads.
:-Þ While I have used Unix (Solaris) at university a bit, I don't
:-Þ know enough
:-Þ about what 'bits' I need to do a default install.  I downloaded what I
:-Þ thought I would need, and burned it to a CD, but the
:-Þ installation wouldn't
:-Þ work - it was missing some files.  I attempted to download the
:-Þ whole site,
:-Þ but over my 56K modem that was going to take weeks!!!  Is there a site
:-Þ (preferable close to NZ or Australia - for performance reasons)
:-Þ that has ISO
:-Þ CD images (for a default install) to download - i.e. download 2-3 650MB
:-Þ files, burn them to CD, then install.  This way I don't need to
:-Þ guess what
:-Þ files I need, and hopefully can get my learning underway.
:-Þ
:-Þ Thanks in advance,
:-Þ
:-Þ David Simon,
:-Þ Soon-to-be FreeBSD User.
:-Þ
:-Þ P.S.  By 'default install', I mean enough so that I can run a window
:-Þ manager, web browser, email client and possibly a web server (apache?).