Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 12:45:07 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Mark Huizer <freebsd@dohd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp driver not reset after Windows reboot?

>On my VAIO laptop, I have trouble rebooting directly from Windows to
>FreeBSD (luckily enough I don't run Windows that often :-)
>I tried to look at the driver code, but it looks to me like it is doing
>resets when attaching the fxp driver, but somehow, Windows has left it
>in the state where it isn't recognized properly.
>
>Below I have dmesg output, stripped to the fxp0 part. Does anyone have
>an idea what the problem might be, or where to try to debug this?
>I have added some comments to the dmesg output, /* here */, to add the
>programs running there
>
>Mark
>
>FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Wed Dec  6 09:34:39 CET 2000
>    root@pooh.local.dohd.org:/usr/src2/sys/compile/vaio
>Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xc042b000.
>Preloaded userconfig_script "/boot/kernel.conf" at 0xc042b09c.
>Preloaded elf module "if_fxp.ko" at 0xc042b0ec.
>fxp0: <Intel Pro 10/100B/100+ Ethernet> port 0xfcc0-0xfcff mem 0xfed00000-0xfedfffff,0xfecff000-0xfecfffff irq 9 at device 11.0 on pci0
>fxp0: Ethernet address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, 10Mbps
>BRIDGE 990810, have 7 interfaces
>-- index 1  type 6 phy 0 addrl 6 addr ff.ff.ff.ff.ff.ff
>/* dhclient leads to the below */
>fxp0: SCB timeout

   Based on the above, I would say that Windows has powered-down the NIC. This
is outside of the scope of the driver, so I don't think a solution should be
implemented there. Probably something for our APM folks.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.