Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 1995 23:28:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@eng.umd.edu>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make world -- share/doc

On Fri, 29 Sep 1995, John Fieber wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Sep 1995, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > My make world just failed in install, while trying to install share/doc/FAQ:
> >
> > install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444  freebsd-faq.ascii /usr/share/doc/FAQ
> > install: freebsd-faq.ascii: No such file or directory
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.  (etc).
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> hmmmm....
>
> I suspect the generation of freebsd-faq.ascii failed.  The generation
> depends on:
>
> /usr/share/mk/bsd.sgml.mk
> /usr/bin/sgmlfmt
> /usr/bin/sgmls
> /usr/bin/sgmlsasp
> /usr/share/sgml/FreeBSD/*
>
> As I ponder this, it occurs to me that a number of week ago the command
> line options for sgmlfmt changed.  If you have an older sgmlfmt being
> driven by the current bsd.sgml.mk (as can happen in a make world) it will
> fail.  Methinks this is Not A Good Thing....
>
> Also, the make should have failed in the *build*, not the install.  I'll
> look into the return codes from sgmlfmt.

Fair enough, I preinstalled sgmlfmt, and the make world continued, but
was stopped shortly thereafter with the line

/usr/share/man/man4/i386/../si.4.gz -> /usr/share/man/man4/i386/si.4.gz
ln: /usr/share/,\man/man4/i386/si.4.gz: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Does that ring some bells?

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |