Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:10:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Newton <nlunkel@ig.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome Lite

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Newton wrote:

> Dear Friends : I finally installed my 5.2.1 version, I'm trying to solve some
> problems and, would like to know if someone could help me. I choose Gnome for
> my Desktop, but it's a lite version and, would like to know, if there is a
> way to download a new one to "correct" this ?

See the FreeBSD GNOME FAQ at http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html.
There is a question specifically geared to upgrading from GNOME Lite to
the full GNOME Desktop.

> And, if possible , is there a way to intall "package by package" ?

Yes.  The same FAQ talks about installing GNOME from packages from our
Tinderbox.

> I thought in download it , save into a
> CD and install. I'm having problems with my network (DHCP) but, slowly I'm
> better understanding this "new system", for me and, in the near future, I
> hope that all it OK. Also, I would like to talk with another people that
> English is not your native language, cause I'm a little surprised after I
> installed, my Gnome or KDE, without brazilian portuguese support. Is it a
> problem with the lite versions or a lack of support to another languages ?
> Thank you, for help me. Sincerely, Newton - Brazil

GNOME and GNOME Lite certainly support Brazilian Portuguese.  Simply set
your LANG environment variable to pt_BR.ISO8859-1, and start GNOME, and
every app that has a Brazilian Portuguese translation will display it.

I don't use KDE, but as I recall KDE is a bit different.  You have to
install the language bindings for your locale.  Just install
portuguese/kde3-i18n-pt_BR, and you should be set there (provided your
LANG is correctly defined as mentioned above).

Joe