Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:08:29 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Johann Kois <J.Kois@web.de>
Cc:        Damir Lampa <lampa@mioc.hr>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with PCMCIA

> Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:44:27 +0200
> From: Johann Kois <J.Kois@web.de>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Altough I don't know this card, I know the problem (for a 16-Bit-pccard).
>
> As far as I know there is a misconfiguration in the GENERIC kernel and
> this problem was discussed several times in this mailing list.
>
> A solution could be to set an irq for your pccard. I think it's because
> pcic went to polling mode by default but must be in interrupted mode for
> correct working.
>
> In my case (problem with pccard modem) this was the solution.

This may well fix the problem, although the symptoms were not an exact
match for those normally seen on laptops with this problem.

It's not an error in GENERIC. It's a problem with some laptops not
being able to run the pcic controller in polled mode. Whether this is
a problem with the laptop or the FreeBSD implementation is not totally
clear, but running with no IRQ works fine on most laptops and IRQs
tend to be a very scarce commodity on many laptops which makes wasting
one on the pcic very undesirable. (The interrupt is used only to
notify the kernel of card insertion or removal.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)