Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:51:44 -0500
From:      "Charlie Schloemer" <charlie@infoworks.net>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Ronan Eckelberry, Sr. Systems Administrator" <ronane@hitter.net>
Subject:   Re: "bad namelist"

On 28 Sep 00, at 16:23, Ronan Eckelberry, Sr. Systems Administrat wrote:

>     Does anyone know why all of the sudden I would be getting a "bad =
> namelist" error when trying to do a "w", "ps", or "uptime".  I don't =
> know of anything that has been done to this box that would cause that.
>
> -Ronan

As I understand this, there is a bug in FreeBSD 4.0 that *can*
cause this problem after awhile.  This can be patched and a few
programs recompiled in order to fix it, though by the time I was
experiencing this problem, 4.1 was in my snail mailbox.  If you
prefer to patch the system, check the mailing list archives at
www.FreeBSD.org, as this has been covered much better there.

In the event you're not using FreeBSD 4.0, please send dmesg
output to this list so we can have more information.

Good luck,
-charlie