Date:      Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:50:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vishal M <vishal_study@yahoo.com>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        vishal_study@yahoo.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcp_fsm.h: sending FIN or FIN+ACK in Closing state

Hi Chuck:

Thanks for your reply.

My question was basically related to "Simultaneous
close" case wherein both sides initiate a TCP close
almost at the same time, resulting in FINs crossing
each other.

In FIN_WAIT1 state, on receiving FIN from the peer, we
transition into CLOSING state and send out an ACK.
My question was related to this ACK pkt.

The RFC and Richard Stevens Vol-2 (pg 808) suggests
just sending an ACK whereas FreeBSD code (in
tcp_fsm.h) and also Stevens Vol-2 (pg 809) suggests
sending FIN+ACK. I am not clear on this...which is the
correct behavior?

Could someone please give any pointers.

Thanks,
Vishal.