Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 23:35:06 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEWCARD Docs

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 11:05:30PM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20020306171531.B69228@blossom.cjclark.org>
>             "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com> writes:
> : Are there some docs somewhere on how to get NEWCARD working? A CardBus
> : NIC, an xl(4), much to my surprise Just Works(tm). (Well, now it does,
> : the machine was panicing before. I'm not sure what I changed to make
> : it stop.) However, my trusty old ep(4), a well worn Etherlink III
> : 3C589D-COMBO which has served me well on -STABLE for years, doesn't
> : seem to work at all. I'm not sure where to start and can't find any
> : manpages on the new stuff. Am I on my own trying to figure out what is
> : going on in src/sys/dev/pccard?
>
> There are no man pages on the new stuff.
>
> Maybe you could tell me what errors you are seeing :-)
>
> /me goes off and gets his 3c589{c,d,e} out of storage and sees what
> they do.

Well, it's pretty simple. I put in the card and it says,

  pccard0: Card has no functions!
  pccbb0: PC Card card activation failed

My Megahertz XJ4336 modem PC Card gives the same result. Both cards
work fine on two other -STABLE or -RELEASE machines with the old
pccardd(8). The NIC worked fine in this notebook when it was
temporarily running 4.4-RELEASE to bootstrap the build of
-CURRENT. Oops... I have one more PC Card to try (geez, I got a bunch
of these things)... Same results for a Xircom CreditCard PS-CE2-10
(which finally kinda works in -STABLE).

I haven't yet tried to build the OLDCARD on this machine. I'd like to
use this CardBus card in it. But it'd be nice if the PC Card modem
worked too (since the built-in is a WinModem).