Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 23:38:12 +1000
From:      "Eddie Irvine" <eirvine@tpgi.com.au>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Gruesomely slow SAMBA fixed. FTP still poor - oh well.

Hi all.

A week ago I started a thread about samba and
ftp being very slow (5k /sec) but not netatalk.

Clients were Macs and W95. FTP fine from Macs
very slow from W95.

Some suggestions were made about network
card buffers - or the lack of - being the problem
with ne200 clones ed0 cards.

Thanks!

The following option has made a twentyfold improvement
for the W95 client:

       max xmit = 8192

Main problem solved.

FTP is *still* slow from the W95 machine so it must
be the W95 machine's card. I'll live with that.

Note that the samba docs advise this option only for
speeding up W 3.1 clients.

Eddie.