Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 2004 22:48:33 -0500
From:      Jon Noack <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI degrading.. ?

On 07/15/04 22:30, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> The cx issue should be fixed. Nate put in a patch to fix it yesterday
>> or today. I have also lost acpi_video, but the patch to fix cx may fix
>> that, as well. I've been hesitant to update my laptop due to the native
>> preemption triggered problems that forced me to roll several bits of the
>> kernel back to 7/2. If I get just a little time, I'll cvsup and build a
>> new system tomorrow and see how t works (or doesn't).
>>
> Ahh, ok.. great.. Thanks Nate!  I'm also waiting for the preemption
> stuff to settle down.. killing my laptop 10 times in one day isn't my
> idea of fun.. :)  Although, it only ever happened when Firefox was
> running..

Come to think of it, all of my hard lockups were when Firefox was
running.  I think (some of) the issues native preemption uncovered are
related to threading.  In any case, I commented out "#define PREEMPTION"
in src/sys/<ARCH>/include/param.h and rebuilt my kernel so it would stay
up for more than 30 minutes.

Jon