Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 12:37:50 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, Philip Kizer <pckizer@nostrum.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum questions?

On Wednesday, 17 March 1999 at 10:00:16 +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 1999, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes.  First, you configured it in the kernel, though I continually ask
>> you not to, and secondly you forgot a resetconfig, since you changed
>> the names of the drives.
>
>     I have not configured vinum in the kernel.  One of the first things I
> did was to comment out that option, because I also read and understood
> that part of the FM.

Strange.  It showed all the signs of having been in the kernel.

>     I have gone back in and re-enabled the VINUMDEBUG option in the
> kernel,

This has no effect if you don't configure it in the kernel.  It
doesn't do any harm, either.

> because it would appear that this option is defined in the two
> vinum-related Makefiles that I can find.  It is my understanding
> that it is very important to make sure that this option is set the
> same everywhere, although my previous experience with attempting to
> make sure that it was turned off everywhere did not meet with much
> success.

I still suspect that some minor thing went wrong.  The message is very
specific, though I suppose I should catch it when starting vinum.
That's on my wish list.

>> You've changed the names of the drives, but they're still stored on
>> the drive.  You need to do a resetconfig.
>
>     I've done a resetconfig since changing the drive names.  However, I
> can certainly do another one.  I don't think that another
> "sync;sync;sync;shutdown -r now" (if that's necessary, now that I've
> built and installed -CURRENT) is going to do much more damage to the
> schedule of when I'm supposed to get this machine rolled out.

Hmm.  I'm beginning to think there might be a bug there.  resetconfig
*should* remove the drive names, but there's some evidence that it
might not be doing it on all drives.  Let's see...

Vinum -> resetconfig
 WARNING!  This command will completely wipe out your vinum configuration.
 All data will be lost.  If you really want to do this, enter the text

 NO FUTURE
 Enter text -> NO FUTURE
Vinum configuration obliterated
Vinum -> start
ln: ./drive2: File exists
ln: ./drive1: File exists
Vinum -> l

Yup.  It only killed the first two.  Let's try again:

Vinum -> resetconfig
 WARNING!  This command will completely wipe out your vinum configuration.
 All data will be lost.  If you really want to do this, enter the text

 NO FUTURE
 Enter text -> NO FUTURE
Vinum configuration obliterated
Vinum -> start
** no drives found: No such file or directory

I'll check what's happening here.  You may have to try several times;
in the meantime I'll try to figure out why it only resets some
configs.

>>>     Then a kernel panic.
>>
>> When?  Immediately after the create command?
>
>     Yup.  I cut-n-pasted as much of the create command as had been
> displayed to the ssh session I was in, just before the kernel panic.

Hmm.  I'd like to see this one, but only if you can reproduce it.
Well, no, I'd like to see it anyway, but I don't promise to do much
with it if I don't think it's relevant to the current version.

Greg