Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 01:57:26 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "A"utodefaults in disklabel on 5.0dp2 install

Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> This is something I noticed while installing 5.0-dp2.  I'm not sure
> how much we'd want to change it.
>
> I'm installing dp2 on a 4-gig disk.  I want to split that in two,
> with "dos" for the first 2 gig and freebsd in the last 2 gig.  When
> I got to the disklabel step, I tried the "Auto Defaults" option to
> split up the freebsd partition.  It picked partition sizes of:
>
>      128 meg   - /
>     1231 meg   - swap space
>      208 meg   - /var
>      208 meg   - /tmp
>       83 meg   - /usr
>
> This is a machine with 768 meg of memory, but I think the install
> is more likely to work with a less swapspace and something more
> than 83 meg for /usr.  I know it's tricky to come up with an
> algorithm which will pick decent sizes for every combination of
> disk and memory sizes, but perhaps it should wire in some kind of
> minimum size for /usr.  Also, maybe something to the effect that
> neither /var nor /tmp should end up larger than /usr.
>
> I have not looked at the source, so maybe it's just a simple case
> of the swap calculation being done based on the size of the hard
> drive instead of the size of the freebsd partition.

The default swap size calculation is done on the basis of a multiple
of the physical memory size.  Specifically, the physical memory may
be completely consumed by kernel structures, up to the KVA size, and
therefore in the case of a system dump, it can require up to the
size of the physical meory, plus 64K, at a bare minimum for a
successful system dump.

So even if you were to reduce the swap size, you should not reduce
it below 768M + 64K.

You will, of course, agree that a prerelease named "DP2" should
have the ability to successfully system dump, as that is one of
the primary reasons it's being handed out: to catch problems, and
to provide detailed bug reports about them, sufficient to correct
them before the official release.

You should be able to take memory away from swap, even after the
"Auto", and give it to /usr.

If you choose to give less swap than is necessary for a system
dump, expect no help with problems with the system which may
arise during your testing: not because no one wants to help,
but because you aren't going to be able to provide sufficient
information to enable them to help.

If you can accept that limitation (i.e. you are trying DP2 to
find problems in user space software which needs to run on it,
ONLY), then fine; otherwise, you might want to consider using
a bigger disk and/or removing some RAM.

-- Terry