Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:42:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      James Higgins <higginsj@iname.com>
To:        xyMark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Back to school

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Mark Ovens wrote:

> James wrote:
> >
> > Not to mention that in the sophomore "File Processing" course all students
> > seem to gripe after being drug away from learning C/C++ in Windows to
>                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Err, is this not a contradiction it terms?
>
> > writing for a UNIX machine.
> >

> Well, they'll be able to call themselves programmers then, won't they,
> not just drag 'n' drop GUI builders.

In a little defense of my department.  We do start in CS 1 and 2 doing
WIn32 console programs.

Not quite drag and drop, although the new version of Visual C++ is
getting to the point where even thta is. If we want we can opt to take an
MFC or VB class after our algorithms course.  Until we get there it is all
at least command line driven at a Win32 commnd prompt.

James