Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 04:22:44 -0700
From:      kevin godfrey <kevin@ticktockman.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Actual Microsoft Question (Was: Re: Microsoft Bashers)

[big snip]

> Remember also that the AT&T UNIX TCP/IP stack was taken directly from
> BSD.  When Microsoft went to write TCP/IP in Windows, they certainly
> would have looked at an existing IP implementation to see how it was
> done.  It would have been a serious problem if they had selected some
> decompiled commercial implementation (like FTP Software's) and even
> if they had selected something like AT&T UNIX which they most certainly
> have a source license for.  Besides that most commercial implementations
> of the time were based on BSD anyway.  The safest source implementation of
> TCP/IP at the time was BSD because of the nonrestrictive license and since
> it was used as the root of most competitive TCP/IP implementations, if you
> studied it you would be studying all of the rest of them.

Thanks for the answer Ted.  It helped me understand a little better the
history.
So as I see it, most of the major operating systems TCP/IP implementations are
based on BSD.  If I recall correctly, didn't Linux adopt the BSD stack not too
long ago?  Or am I mistaken?  If not, that means that Windows, Apple (as of OS
X) and Linux are made up of the BSD TCP/IP implementation.  Possibly even BeOS
(I believe it is, but I cannot confirm.  When I was working on a utility for
BeOS, I remember running across some mention of the BSD TCP/IP implementation).
If I'm not mistaken, that's a pretty impressive feat.

--
kevin

"plastic fruit for a starving nation"