Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 09:34:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Andrew Heath <drew@bluetongue.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory Leak??? Apache, CGI, can't spawn child process

--0-720294148-891614089=:357

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Andrew Heath wrote:

> I appreciate any assistance here, as our server is now continually comung
> up with a CGI can't spawn child process error, and as we are running a
> reasonable heavily loaded server, this is a problem.
>
> FYI we are also running a reasonable loaded DNS server, and Hughes
> MiniSQL. The mimiSQL server is running as "nobody"

One word:  /etc/login.conf

According to the information you supplied, you have gobs of free
resources, but /etc/login.conf sets limits on how much users can
use. Put the attached cgi script in your cgi-bin and call it.  It
will report limits that the web server is running under.

The limits specified under "daemon" in /etc/login.conf are in
effect when /etc/rc is run, which I presume is when you are
starting apache and friends.  You probably need to boost the
number of processes that daemon can run.

Resource limits are inherited and don't change unless explicitly
changed by the process.  Init sets the limits according to the
daemon entry in /etc/login.conf when running /etc/rc.  Thus,
httpd daemons started by boot by root running as nobody inherit
the limits for daemon.

-john

--0-720294148-891614089=:357

IyEvYmluL3NoDQoNCiMNCiMgUHJpbnQgc29tZSBpbmZvcm1hdGlvbiBhYm91
dCB0aGUgb3BlcmF0aW5nIGVudmlyb25tZW50DQojIG9mIHRoZSBodHRwZCBk
YWVtb24gYW5kIHRoZSBjZ2kgc2NyaXB0cyBpdCBydW5zLg0KIw0KDQplY2hv
ICJDb250ZW50LXR5cGU6IHRleHQvcGxhaW4iDQplY2hvICIiDQoNCmVjaG8g
IkkgYW06Ig0KaWQNCg0KZWNobyAiIg0KZWNobyAiTGltaXRzOiINCnVsaW1p
dCAtYQ0KDQplY2hvICIiDQplY2hvICJFbnZpcm9ubWVudDoiDQplbnYNCg0K
ZWNobyAiIg0KZWNobyAiVXB0aW1lOiINCnVwdGltZQ0KDQoNCg==
--0-720294148-891614089=:357--