Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 09:38:57 -0800
From:      wes@intele.net
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cc in FreeBSD

Wes Santee writes:
 > Not sure if this question is apropos for the Questions list, but is
 > there a switch in the cc for FreeBSD (gcc 2.6.3, looks like) that
 > allows C++-style comments in a C source file?

The 'info' file for cpp from gcc-2.7.2 says the following:

`-lang-c'
`-lang-c89'
`-lang-c++'
`-lang-objc'
`-lang-objc++'
     Specify the source language.  `-lang-c' is the default; it allows
     recognition of C++ comments (comments that begin with `//' and end
     at end of line), since this is a common feature and it will most
     likely be in the next C standard.  `-lang-c89' disables
     recognition of C++ comments.  `-lang-c++' handles C++ comment
     syntax and includes extra default include directories for C++.
     `-lang-objc' enables the Objective C `#import' directive.
     `-lang-objc++' enables both C++ and Objective C extensions.

     These options are generated by the compiler driver `gcc', but not
     passed from the `gcc' command line unless you use the driver's
     `-Wp' option.

The standard FreeBSD compiler driver must be passed -lang-c89 to cpp.
Try adding -Wp -lang-c to your cc options and see if that works.

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder