Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 08:03:32 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        garbanzo@hooked.net (Alex Zepeda)
Cc:        green@FreeBSD.ORG (Brian F. Feldman), wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman), cracauer@cons.org (Martin Cracauer), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using float emulator on a system with FPU?

Alex Zepeda wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
>
> > Why shouldn't we? Noone uses machines without FPUs anymore. What
> > non-ancient CPU doesn't have an FPU? And we're talking about the i386
> > family here...

Nonsense. Read this:

<http://developer.intel.com/design/intarch/prodbref/27270903.htm>;

> I've noticed recently, more and more, Linux is moving into the embedded
> market quite nicely, and being used on smaller and smaller systems.
> FreeBSD OTOH has been focusing (albeit not too successfully) on the higher
> end market.

That's a matter of perspective. Remember that people can base a product
on FreeBSD without being forced to give away their value-added sources.

I have a solar powered i386 board here that consumes just 2W. It runs
FreeBSD. There is a tiny bit of custom code to initialise the board and
boot the kernel out of flash, but the kernel is standard FreeBSD.

> With my recent addition of an 040 powered Mac that I plan to put NetBSD
> on, this really irks me.  I'd love to put some (read: a significant)
> amount of time getting FreeBSD up and running on this, but there seems to
> be a lot of resistance to using FreeBSD on smaller/older machines. It
> almost seems like the requirement is Pentium III, Alpha or bust.

I don't think that is true. You are commenting on what other people have
chosen to put their time into. The only resistance I see is people actually
doing the work. To get in-principle approval before doing a substantial
amount of work, ask core@FreeBSD.org. My bet is they won't object.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137