Date:      Fri, 07 Sep 2007 12:05:20 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.2 Installation Problems

--------------enig3A7141BCD7CE71360FAD55BA

G. Yager wrote:

> the whole project, because apparently I can't get all of the components=

> installed to make X or KDE work correctly.  Please help!

Here are the steps for you (run them as root user):

1) Install a base system without packages, configure it to your liking
2) Execute "portsnap fetch extract"
3) Execute "cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg" and "make install clean"
4) Execute "cd /usr/ports/kde3" and "make install clean"

The last two steps will be long (as in: at least several hours), so=20
wait, look at the pretty scrolling text, answer some questions (if any), =

and at the end you'll have absolutely *everything* needed to run KDE=20
under X11. Some configuration might be required after the packages are=20
there (e.g. making a file ~/.xinitrc with the line "startkde").

If you're in a hurry, here are the alternate steps:

1) Install a base system without packages, configure it to your liking
2) Execute "pkg_add -r xorg"
3) Execute "pkg_add -r kde3"

Don't mix and match the two approaches if you don't know what you're=20
doing, but the end result should be approximately the same.

You'll need a (fast) Internet connection for both approaches, so make=20
sure you configure your network in step "1".