Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 20:31:05 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        BSD Blood <bsdblood@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports not installing after updating sources

BSD Blood wrote:

> I did as I was told and my ports collection are now good. I'm just
> wondering:-
> 1. What's the file /usr/ports/.cvsignore for?
> 2. Is it OK for me to do a 'rm -rf /usr/ports', in which case
> /usr/ports/.cvsignore also gets deleted and then resync my ports tree? Is it
> a must do leave the /usr/ports/.cvsignore file there?

I don't really know. My .cvsignore has two lines containing distfiles and
packages. You really don't want cvsup to compare those directories but I
don't know when that file was added. You could always save it and move it
back. You could also move the distfiles/ and packages/ out and then move
them back in after you clean /usr/ports/*.

There were some scripts that went through and cleaned up /usr/ports but some
people still had sporatic problems when they got through. The rm -rf
/usr/ports/* was the easiest, complete solution. It was also the equivalent
of using an elephant gun to solve a mouse sized problem. One thing was for
sure and that was when cvsup created the new layout, you didn't have
problems doing a make. In my case, I was cvsup'ing right through when they
made the drastic changes and never had a layout problem. I also have some
directories that don't exist such as one for spanish where I have some
translation and spell check programs stored and I wouldn't want to delete
them right now.

Kent