Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 2002 12:28:22 -0800
From:      "David Smithson" <david@customfilmeffects.com>
To:        "Matthew Seaman" <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Network connection dropping during file transfers

Hi Matthew.  Thanks for your response.  Pending more tests, the problem has
been resolved.  Special thanks to Stacey Roberts and his girlfriend.  :)

A while back I expanded our subnet from 255.255.255.224 to 255.255.255.0.
Long story short:  Samba was binding to the wrong broadcast address.  That
is, 192.168.1.31 instead of 192.168.1.255.  It was an oversight of mine -- a
setting I forgot to changed during the subnet expansion extravaganza.  I
haven't done any real sniffing to see what was actually going on when the
interface timed out.  I'm just glad it works now.  I'll celebrate 50 hours
of overtime with a beer or two...or three, maybe four 5 6 7...

I'll answer some of your questions below.

> i) Is there any chance of meeting your deadline given the current state
> of your system?

I will be able to meet the deadline now.  Yay!  (The citizens of Custom Film
Effects -- after much deliberation -- decide to acknowledge System
Administrator Day)

> ii) Have you ever had this hardware setup working well under this sort
> of load?

Not really.  I've added render engines and workstations recently.  Also, the
new version of Digital Fusion seems to be more efficient at using processor
time and memory so I really cranks out frames.

> iii) Do you really need 1000baseTX network speeds?

Absolutely.  We're dealing with 12MB cineon images.  Some comp'd shots
render very quickly -- load, save, load, save, load, save, load, save ...

Thanks for taking an interest.