Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 2004 23:20:00 +0000
From:      merkurie@comcast.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.1 & RAID

Hello, I am running into a bit of a problem when trying to install FreeBSD 5.1
I have had FreeBSD installed on my machine before. I have a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Ultra motherboard. It comes with a Adaptec AIC-7902 SCSI Ultra 320 controller built in. Up till today, I had FreeBSD installed on a Seagate ST318453LW hard drive. Today, I got another one of these hard drives and installed it in my system. I then setup a RAID 0 array. I rebooted with my FreeBSD 5.1 kern.flp boot disk, then inserted mfsroot.flp when prompted. It boots through the kernel and goes to the 'Probing devices' screen. I then get this message:

/: write failed, filesystem is full
panic: Going nowhere without my init!

syncing disks, buffers remaining... 464 464 300 300 300 300 300 300 300 300 300
300 300 300 300 300 300 300 300 300 300 300 300 300 300 300 300 300 300 300 300

giving up on 133 buffers

I then get the prompt to reboot. I thought maybe something was wrong with my RAID array, so I booted off a Windows 98 boot disk and created a partition and formatted, and it seems to work okay. I have also tried using a current snapshot and it gives me a similar kind of error. It acts as though there is no disk present.
Does FreeBSD just not support my SCSI RAID controller?
I searched around some forums and found someone that had a similar problem, the solution someone gave was that a 'container' needed to be created. I didn't really see any kind of 'container' option in Adaptec's HostRAID BIOS utility. I am kind of assuming a container is just a RAID array?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marc