Date:      Fri, 07 Sep 2007 16:51:51 +0930
From:      free4all <free4all@nospam.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Samba/User ID issue for wheel group members - newbie poster

Hello,

I have an interesting but frustrating issue that I've not been able to
diagnose and/or resolve.

Scenario:

FreeBSD 6.1 Release fileserver running Samba

Desktops are Windows XP SP2 and all up to date, patch-wise, mapping
various Samba shares.

Problem:

When I run smbstatus, all users that are members of the wheel group show
a UID of root and a GID of <username>.

Users who are not members of the wheel group show a UID of <username>
and a GID of <username>.  Equally, removing a user from the wheel group
reverts them to <username>/<username> UID/GID at next logon.

I have two sites running essentially indentical hardware/software
configurations at both server and desktop level.  But on the second
site, members of the wheel group have a UID of <username> and a GID of
<username>, which is precisely as it should be, as far as I understand.

I'll take this opportunity to mention that I also have a 4.11 server,
again with some wheel group members, and in this case too, UID and GID
for these wheel group members are <username> and <username>.

I've kept this as simple as I could, but would happily provide more info
if I've omitted anything critical or relevant.

The issue is not causing any specific operational issues, but is
annoying when I want to use smbstatus -u<username> as I obviously get no
result for wheel group members unless I specify a username of root.

If there's an obvious issue, and you wish to spare me embarrassment,
feel free to contact me directly at averay at adam.com.au, with the
obvious adjustments.  If etiquette is that a response to the group is
appropriate, I can live with the shame :).

I've extensively searched but can't find a match to my specific
circumstances.

Many thanks in advance of any suggestions.

Regards,

Bronte.