Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:52:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory required to install FreeBSD?

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Nik Clayton wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm trying to sort out PR docs/11852.  Can I anyone please tell me
> (definitively) how much memory you need in a box in order to install
> FreeBSD on it.
>
> It certainly used to be 5 MB, some of the documentation says 8 MB, and
> the PR says you now need 12 MB.  I don't have access to a low end machine
> to test this out on, so I'm hoping one of you can let me know.

From personal experience, I couldn't install FreeBSD 3.1 on an 8MB
machine over PPP.  Doing so over ethernet may have worked, since the
useland ppp app wouldn't have to be loaded (or would that matter?). My
solution was to place a new smaller kernel on the installation disk
with only the required devices, which I believe gave me about 800KB
more to play with, and the installation then succeeded.

I haven't tried an install with only 8MB with 3.2 yet, though the
machine is sitting at home being unused at the moment, so I could try,
if you're interested.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."