Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2011 11:31:03 +0100
From:      Marc UBM Bocklet <ubm.freebsd@googlemail.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   lockup with vidcontrol VESA_800x600

Hiho! :-)

Yesterday I upgraded to

FreeBSD hostname 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #28: Sat Jan  8
17:05:30 CET 2011

and vidcontrol VESA_800x600 stopped working (again). I exchanged emails
with jkim about a similar problem in February 2010 (vidcontrol
VESA_800x600 would mangle the screen output), there was no definitive
resolution, but it started working again sometime around July 2010.

Now however, when I try to set VESA_800x600, my machine seems to
lockup. It no longer responds to any input, I cannot ping it and I
cannot drop to the debugger.

I've tried setting other modes, but trying to set them results in:

obtaining new video mode parameters: operation not supported by device.

graphics card is a:

vgapci0@pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x013a1002 chip=0x514c1002
rev=0x00 hdr=0x00 vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc. / Advanced Micro
Devices, Inc.' device     = 'Radeon 8500 / 8500LE (R200)'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

Any clues what might have changed?

Bye