Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:06:46 -0600
From:      Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to edit file in single user mode

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 06:03:05PM -0600, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
> There was some discussion on the lists (IIRC) a while back
> on the idea of building a small editor binary that you like
> (trying to remember some of the possibilities: zed, ved, led,
> sted, (but not ted), ee (already in the base system), pico, nano,
> nah, can't really remember :-< ) and cp'ing it to /bin in preparation
> for just such an emergency.  With root partitions {generally}
> being a tad larger these days than in the elder times, it might
> be a feasible idea...I'm pretty sure *someone* out there has
> tried it.  Come to think of it, I may. :-)

On i386 platforms, I build a copy of e3vi from ports and cp it to
/root/bin. It's 12.8k (!) and, as long as you don't get too fancy, it's
a reasonable vi clone.

Saved my bacon a few times already.

-T

--
If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner,
you have learned how to live.