Date:      Sat, 04 Sep 1999 12:01:43 -0400
From:      Ugen Antsilevitch <ugen@xonix.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cpio problems during install...

All right... I guess this is not my day or may be i am just getting completely
stupid.. Anyway - i have here in front of me 1) downloaded snapshot of 4.0
2) cdrom from walnutcreek with 2.2.7 release
Now it all started when i tried to install the 4.0 snapshot.. I have a machine
for that - no other systems on it, AMD K6-233, 1.2Gb HD , 64Mb ram
and a ATAPI Hitachi CD... Nothing fancy...

First i tried a good old "make kern and mfsroot floppies, boot and install
from CDROM" method. That didn't work - halfway through install of
bin distribution cpio starts complaining about bad checksums and
"skipping junk" in it's words.
Then i tried to do the same with 2.2.7 release (it only has one boot disk
afair) - same result.
 I tried to create DOS partition on that machine abd copy files from it -
nothing changes.
 Tried to use boot floppies from 3.2 release - same thing.
 Tried to copy files to UFS and then install from there - no difference.
Now i understand that theoretically i may have screwed up the 4.0 CD
i burned myself. But 2.2.7 release is a store version and it worked
before.
Intrestingly on that same machine linux distributions tend to fail on
an unknown errors while installing some rpms.
On the other hand the HD is fine - or at least i never had any problems
with it in windows or linux (after install) and all known to me utilities
support this. CDROM is fine too - again everything else works.

So the question now is - whats so special about installations
and how the hell can it now work? Could it be some quirk of
a processor that doesn't let it run ungzip algorythm correctly?
Or am i missing something?

Thanx.
--Ugen