Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:51:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        "Derrick T. Woolworth" <coeus@servetheweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps: bad namelist

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Derrick T. Woolworth wrote:

> Recently, I believe the kernel name list has gotten corrupted -
> not sure exactly.  ps returns "bad namelist".
>
> The kvm_kernel.db file was set to 0 bytes - after reading the
> handbook a little the only thing I found mentioned was to remove
> the file and reboot the machine.  However, the file isn't getting
> generated.
>
> Is there a way to create the file manually?

It used to be "kvm_mkdb" but this has been put out to pasture, and now
nlist lookups are done directly.

> Is there some reason why this has become a problem all of a
> sudden?

An outdated /bin/ps?  A stripped kernel?  I don't know for sure.
Someone Jun 15-16 on -questions also had the same problem with 4.0.
He even built world and the problem was still there.

He also didn't post how he solved it. :(

-Paul.