Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2007 10:43:43 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Yoshihiro Ota <ota@j.email.ne.jp>, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>, Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Subject:   Re: dumping large partition to USB drive fails

--nextPart2246341.zNCtj7ryse

On Thursday 28 June 2007 01:33, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 05:11:23PM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> > Well, camcontrol didn't work either. :-(
>
> This doesn't come as much of a surprise; camcontrol expects to talk
> to a native SCSI device (your drive is ATA).  atacontrol expects to
> talk to a native ATA device, but via adXX, not via umass or any other
> USB interface.
>
> I don't know of any software even on Windows (for comparison) that
> lets you get SMART stats off of an ATA drive in a USB enclosure via
> USB.

Speedfan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) lets you read SMART off=20
HDs.

Also I don't think smartctl or FreeBSD are to blame for the inability to=20
send SMART commands to the HD - it is the enclosures fault for not=20
remapping the commands. (Which should be trivial, the commands are=20
identical just the transport is different)

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum