Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 04:20:31 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading - one more time please

On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 05:44:24PM +1000, a little birdie told me
that Sue Blake remarked

> OK, that's where I'm up to, got the full repository and need to replace
> last year's sources with the newies. Now I've got a mental block or
> hole or something, just spent the last two hours reading doccos and
> writing down a list of possibly correct ways to checkout the sources
> for 3.2-STABLE so that they replace the existing 2.2.7-STABLE sources.
>
> If I try to represent what my mind is juggling, it's something like
> cvs [-q] [co|update] [-P] [-d] [-r RELENG_3] [src|world]
> where [] means maybe needed. As you see, the only part I'm sure of is
> the "cvs" at the start :-) It used to be so simple, and I could write
> an essay on what each bit does, but I'm buggered if I can work out
> which bits I need to stick together to get the job done. How will the
> CVS stuff that's already in the sources from the other branch affect
> this? Should I just delete the whole lot and start again with a fresh
> checkout? Is that necessary/safer, or would that just be cheating?
> I guess I'd rather know what's the most correct way here.

Here's my take (I use CVS for lots of other things than FreeBSD
src/ports/etc as well).

- ~/.cvsrc:
[21:27:04] mortis:~
(ttyp4):{162}% cat .cvsrc
diff -u
update -d -P
checkout -P

So I can't forget flags  ;>

- When changing branches, just whack your src tree and cvs co clean.
It's not THAT slow (cvs co of ports takes ~10 minutes, src may be closer
to a half hour.)  We have machines running HEAD (-current), RELENG_3, and
RELENG_2_2, so I'm constantly whack/co'ing back and forth (hint: newfs is
much faster than rm -rf  ;)

- So with a clean /usr/src, set your CVSROOT to wherever your CVS repo is
(/home/ncvs seems to be the preference, I use /usr/cvs (also a seperate
partition) )
Then something along the lines of (cd /usr && cvs co src)
And run it under time(1) while you're at it, so you can put how long it
took on your webpage!  :)

As far as the actual updating, I think the 'right' way is something like:
* Update to latest RELENG_2_2 (build/installworld)
* Update to 3.1-RELEASE (make update I think is preferred)
* Update to latest RELENG_3

At least, that's the way I'd do it if I had to now.  Slower, lots of
steps, but at least they're small ones.

--

| Matthew Fuller    MF4839    http://www.over-yonder.net/ |