Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 98 23:13:14 -0500
From:      Andrew Stevens <andrew@log.on.ca>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Got a minute?

-- [ From: Andrew Stevens * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Brian,

   A couple of weeks ago, I posted a question to the FreeBSD list regarding
a ppp problem I was having, but unfortunately the topic got sidetracked with
a seperate problem, and the original one was never resolved.  Would you have
a minute to help me out?

   I now have ppp-980113 installed with libalias.so.2.5 removed.
Unfortunately, my server seems to be dropping the connection more frequently
than it has in the past; ppp also exits when the connection is dropped and
displays the following message on the screen:

	ppp[306]: tun0: DoLoop: select(): Bad file descriptor

   When in terminal mode, the modem won't echo back my commands (at, etc),
either, although the lights are flashing and the modem will dial out.  If
I'm lucky, sometimes the characters will echo, and from then on I won't have
any problems with my connection until the next cold boot.

   I am completely stumped, so any ideas on what might fix this would be
greatly appreciated.  A big thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Andrew Stevens.